In today's fast-paced world, it's crucial to prioritize the well-being of our beloved canine companions. One area that often goes overlooked is the impact of toxins present in our homes, including cleaners, air fresheners, and other household products. These products can not only harm humans but also affect the health and well-being of our four-legged friends. Fortunately, there are less harmful products we can use, including essential oils, to offer a natural and safe alternative to these harmful substances. In this blog, we will explore the benefits of using natural products and essential oils for canine wellness and how easy it is to replace toxic household products with more natural alternatives. By doing so, we can create a healthier and safer environment for both ourselves and our furry companions.
Understanding the Dangers of Common Household Cleaners and Air Fresheners
To fully appreciate the importance of transitioning to natural alternatives, it's essential to understand why common household cleaners and air fresheners pose a risk to people and dogs alike. Many commercial products contain toxic chemicals such as ammonia, bleach, formaldehyde, and phthalates, which can lead to respiratory issues, skin irritations, hormonal disruptions, and even cancer. Dogs are particularly vulnerable as they often lick or sniff surfaces treated with these chemicals, exposing themselves to harmful toxins. Additionally, they spend their lives much closer to the floor where common toxic household products can live from cleaning. In many households, our dogs spend much more time inside the home than we, as owners do, since we're off to work for the day. This can make them more susceptible to the adverse effects of these products.
Common Myths About Natural Cleaners
Common myths often circulate around the use of natural household cleaners versus chemical cleaners.
Myth #1: Natural cleaners are less effective than chemical cleaners.
- Fact: Several products on the market today can offer a safer alternative to clean with. Plain ol' soap and water, vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, and alcohol have long been used to clean and disinfect surfaces. According to this article published by the CDC, "Published reports ascribe good germicidal activity to hydrogen peroxide and attest to its bactericidal, virucidal, sporicidal, and fungicidal properties". The addition of essential oils can add wellness benefits as well. The Antimicrobial effects of Tea Tree, a popular essential oil that many people like to add to their home cleaning products, has been studied on PubMed.gov.
Myth #2: Natural cleaners are expensive and hard to find.
- Fact: Essential oils and other natural ingredients are often affordable and readily available in local stores or online. After the initial purchase and investment of ingredients for DIY's, many natural homemade cleaners are less expensive in the long run. If you're not into DIY, check out my favorite toxin free cleaner, Thieves™ Household Cleaner concentrate, from Young Living™ Essential Oils. One bottle of concentrate can make over 20 quarts of cleaner, making it one of the least expensive toxin free cleaners on the market!
Myth #3: Natural cleaners lack a pleasant scent.
- Fact: The addition of essential oils offers a wide range of fragrances, such as lavender and citrus, providing a delightful aroma while effectively cleaning your home. Some alcohols that you can use for cleaning have no aroma at all.
Dispelling these myths can help pet owners and families make informed choices in opting for safer, more natural alternatives for their homes. To make it easy, I've got an 'Essential Cleaning Supplies Checklist' so you can grab the products you need to get started. Click HERE!
Benefits of Essential Oils for Canine Wellness
Essential oils, derived from plants, offer numerous benefits for canine wellness. They are natural, biodegradable, and free from harmful chemicals. When used correctly, essential oils can promote relaxation, reduce tension, support healthy skin, and enhance overall well-being. Essential oils can also be used for odor, making them ideal for various household applications. Some essential oils can even be used for outdoor and indoor annoyances, helping to keep unwanted critters at bay. This study on PubMed.gov, found essential oil vapors "effective in reducing microbial contamination". They can add a wellness and cleaning boost to your natural products. In fact, many 'natural' cleaners on the market today include essential oils.
Essential Oil Safety Guidelines for Canine Wellness
While essential oils have numerous benefits, it's important to use them safely around dogs. The two most important factors when using essential oils around dogs are quality and dilution. To learn how to make sure you are using a pure, high quality, and premium essential oil, click HERE. When you are adding essential oils to, or making your own cleaners, you'll already be diluting the essential oil for safe use in the home.
Replacing Toxic Cleaners with Essential Oil-Based Alternatives
Transitioning to toxin free cleaners can be simple and easy. Here are some popular household cleaning products you can use:
- Baking Soda
- Liquid Castile Soap
- Hydrogen Peroxide
- Essential Oils
1. All-purpose cleaner: Mix half water and half vinegar, and add several drops of essential oils like lemon or tea tree oil for a safe and effective all-purpose cleaner that can be used on countertops, floors, and other surfaces. Yes, you can use tea tree oil around your dogs, click HERE for what you need to know. If you have natural stone, granite, or marble, vinegar isn't recommended as it can scratch and dull the countertop, and affect the sealers. You will want to use plain ol' soap and water. For more in depth info on using natural cleaners specifically, check out my 'Healthy Hacks To Clean Your Home' article by clicking HERE!
2. Air freshener: Instead of using aerosol sprays or plug-in air fresheners, consider making your own natural alternatives. You can easily make a room spray with essential oils. Click HERE for a step by step guide to making a spray. Consider an investment of an essential oil diffuser. Placed strategically in your home, adding several drops and diffusing daily can be a perfect way to uplift and freshen your home. There are many diffusers on the market today, for help in picking out the right one for you, check out my blog HERE!
3. Odor control: To combat unpleasant odors, baking soda can be your new BFF.
You can add essential oils to baking soda and make closet and drawer sachets as well as standing air fresheners around your home. For more easy ways and ideas to replace chemical laden air fresheners, check out my 'Ultimate Guide To Eliminating Pet Odors Naturally' by clicking HERE!
4. Carpet cleaner: Add about 20-30 drops of an essential oil or blend to 1 cup of baking soda. Mix well and then sprinkle on carpet you have already vacuumed. Let sit for about 10-15 minutes or even overnight for heavily soiled areas, then vacuum up.
5. Mop water: Add around 10 drops of essential oils like lemon, pine, or lavender to your mop water for a natural and refreshing scent while cleaning your floors.
6. Bleach and Hand Soap: For my favorite bleach alternative and hand soap recipes, click HERE. Sometimes its easy to think that your exposure to chemicals isn't that big, but how many times do you wash your hands each day? We may not realize it, but with each hand wash and product use, we accumulate a significant chemical load. Moreover, products labeled with "fragrance" can hide a multitude of chemicals, as they are protected by 'trade secret' laws and may contain hundreds of undisclosed substances. Making your own natural alternatives empowers you to lead a healthier, chemical-free lifestyle for you, your furry friend, and the planet.
7.Window and Mirror Cleaner: Click HERE to learn how to make an all-natural window and mirror cleaner using just four ingredients, ensuring a streak-free shine while promoting a healthier living environment for you and your furry friend.
By replacing toxic household products with natural alternatives, we can create a safer and healthier environment for both ourselves and our canine companions. Essential oils offer a versatile and effective solution to eliminate harmful chemicals from our homes while promoting canine wellness. With a little knowledge and effort, you can easily make the switch and experience the benefits of essential oils for your home and your furry friend's well-being.
If you're curious about where I source my essential oils, I highly recommend joining me on a journey with Young Living™. Their unwavering commitment to quality, sustainability, and purity through their Seed To Seal™ process makes them my top choice. Explore the Thieves™ product line, a perfect addition to creating a natural home environment. Embracing safe and toxin-free cleaning products has never been easier. If you prefer not to DIY, Young Living™ offers a complete product line ideal for cleaning your home. Check out the Make a Shift™ Happy, Healthy Home™ Kit HERE. This kit is all you need to get started with natural home cleaning today!(This is an affiliate link, and I earn a small commission from your order at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting my small business! I'm thrilled to assist you in getting started and will connect with you after your order to send something special your way!)